Accelerated Analytics Customers L’Oreal and Coty Ink Big Business Deals in the New Year

L'Oreal and Coty Deals The string of beauty deals continues in the new year with significant beauty acquisitions for Accelerated Analytics customers L’Oréal and Coty, all within a 48-hour period earlier this week.

L’Oréal will almost double the size of its Active Cosmetics Division with the acquisition of CeraVe, AcneFree and Ambi for a reported $1.3 billion. Founded in 2005, CeraVe develops cleansers, moisturizers and baby products and is one of the fastest-growing active skincare brands in the United States, L’Oréal said. AcneFree provides acne treatments and skin cleansers, while Ambi makes products to treat dark spots and brighten skin. The new trio of labels generates yearly revenue of about $168 million combined, and puts L’Oréal head-to-head with Nestlé’s blockbuster brand Cetaphil.

“Although the price is very high,” said Eva Quiroga, an analyst at Deutsche Bank, “it is supported by the strong growth the business will likely achieve, initially in the U.S. and eventually on a more global basis. It is the kind of global expansion that L’Oréal has historically excelled at.”

Coty is the latest consumer-products maker to acquire an online start-up with the purchase of Younique, a Utah-based company that makes its own line of skin care, body care and makeup products that are sold via peer-to-peer social selling. Coty will acquire 60% of Younique for $600 million in cash and Younique founders Derek Maxfield and Melanie Huscroft will own the remaining 40% and stay with the company in executive roles. Younique’s sales are made mostly online through virtual parties on Facebook and other social platforms. Modeled after more traditional direct-selling models, Younique is part of a group of young companies that have adapted the model to the internet age.

Suggested for you  A strong retail holiday season dangles before us...

Sources: Reuters, Women’s Wear Daily